Saturday, September 28, 2013

Tuscan Cheese Cake - Torta di Ricotta


We've had lots of pasta this fall, so with my kitchen in Italian mode, it was only a matter of time before I remembered this cake and pulled the recipe from my files. This dessert is not to everyone's liking, and while I hate to admit it, I have dissenters in my own family. They grouse the entire time they're eating the cake, but because no one here is force fed, that always makes me smile. The cake does have an unusual texture. It's a cross between a sponge cake and a cheesecake but it lacks the creamy sweetness of its American counterpart. If I had to compare it to something we all have eaten, a custardy bread pudding comes to mind. It's also been compared to a heavy souffle, the type you wouldn't want to drop on your foot. If you can, make this with fresh ricotta cheese, it really is worthwhile in this particular recipe. The cake has a faint undertone of lemon that makes it perfect to serve with macerated berries. I think the addition of almond flavor would also be wonderful. I refrigerate the cake for a full day before I plan to slice and serve it. I don't think it holds up well so my rule for it is a day to sit, a day to eat. I rarely have enough leftovers for that to be a problem. The recipe originally came from the Silver Spoon cookbook. Here's how they make this.


Torta di Ricotta - Tuscan Cheese Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of the Silver Spoon cookbook


Ingredients:


Butter for the pan


2-1/4 cups all purpose flour; extra for dusting the pan


4 eggs


1/2 cup light brown sugar; extra for sprinkling


1-3/4 cups ricotta cheese


Grated zest of 1/2 lemon


5 tablespoons olive oil


3/4 cup milk


1 tablespoon baking powder


Directions:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a deep tart or springform pan with butter and dust with flour. Whisk eggs and brown sugar together until light and foamy. Stir in ricotta cheese, lemon zest, olive oil and milk. Sift flour and baking powder over egg mixture, mix well and pour into cake pan. Sprinkle generously with additional brown sugar. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and turn out. Serves 6.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Yogurt Cheesecake - One Perfect Bite


Margarita Cheesecake - One Perfect Bite


Lavender Cheesecake Bars - One Perfect Bite


Caramel Apple Cheesecake - The Foodie/Nutritionist


Blueberry Japanese Cheesecake - Flour on Her Nose


Almond Cheesecake - Anncoo Journal


Fig and Almond Cheesecake - Brown Eyed Baker



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy