Saturday, September 28, 2013

Toasted Coconut and Lime Layer Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This cake is a melange of bits and pieces taken from other places. The first time I assembled it, the planets must have been aligned and Lady Luck deemed to smile my way. I wanted to make a coconut cake but needed a way to beat back its sweetness. I happen to have lime curd in the refrigerator and decided to use it to fill the cake. The next step was to find an icing that was compatible with coconut and lime. I found a lovely cream cheese frosting that was perfect once its taste was heightened with the addition of coconut extract. The frosted cake looked awfully white, so I decided to add color by toasting the coconut that is classically used to cover its surfaces. While the pros have nothing to fear, this cake has become a favorite of ours. I made it for this weekend because it is fairly easy to transport and does not need constant refrigeration. The layers are a cross between a sponge and a pound cake, so it is more dense than many of the layer cakes that are currently so popular. It can handle a little jostling without collapsing and spots can be covered with additional toasted coconut. The next time I make this, I plan to split the layers in order to use more of the lime curd I so love. I hope you'll try this cake. It really is quite lovely. Here's the recipe.


Toasted Coconut and Lime Layer Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite


Coconut Layer Cake courtesy of Bon Appetit


Ingredients:


2-3/4 cups cake flour


1 teaspoon baking powder


1/2 teaspoon baking soda


1/2 teaspoon salt


1-3/4 cups sugar


1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature


1 cup canned sweetened cream of coconut (such as Coco L

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy