Saturday, September 28, 2013

Stir Fried Snow Peas


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Our farmer's markets are flooded with legumes this week. There are bins of snow, snap and English peas just waiting for the taking. I'd love to believe they are field fresh and locally grown, but I suspect they've been shipped from a neighboring state. I guess that's local enough to prevent a guilty conscience on my part, but the locovore in me wishes they were truly home grown. The snow peas looked wonderful and the few I tested were stringless, so there was no doubt about which peas were coming home with me. I love to stir fry vegetables, especially at this time of year. The rapid tossing and high heat, assure the vegetables will be crisp tender and offer perfect resistance to the tooth. I like to finish certain of the vegetables with a light coating of an Asian-style sauce. The sauce used in this recipe is really interesting and I think those of you who try it, will enjoy it. There is, however, a caveat. The sauce coats the peas in an unappetizing shade of brown. The peas you see in the picture above were wiped clean for the photograph. If you saw them fully dressed you'd run for the hills and think that I had come undone. While they'll win no beauty contests, I can assure you the peas are delicious and appear regularly on my table. If you can look past the unfortunate color, I think you'll really enjoy them. Here's the recipe.


Stir Fried Snow Peas...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Taste of Home Magazine


Ingredients:


1 pound fresh snow or sugar snap peas


2 teaspoons canola oil


1 garlic clove, minced


2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger


1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar


1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce


1 teaspoon sesame oil


Dash cayenne pepper


1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil


2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted


Directions:


In a large nonstick skillet or wok, saute the peas in canola oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and cayenne; saute 1 minute longer. Add basil; toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yield: 6 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Israeli Salad



Two Years Ago Today: Roasted Beet Salad


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Summer Vegetable Salad - The Spamwise Chronicles


Red Cabbage and Snow Pea Salad - My Life Runs on Food


Thai Summer Salad - Recipe Girl


Marinated Vegetable Salad - In Flora's Kitchen


Mexican Sweet Corn Salad - Expat Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy