Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pico de Gallo


Our plans for the weekend are in place, and, despite predictions of heavy rains, we plan to soldier on. We'll simply move everything, save for grilling, inside. Should you drive by and look up the hill, you'll see a huge umbrella on the deck of the topmost house. We'll be the folks you see grilling under its protective cover. I've planned two themed meals for the holiday. I'm leaving the third in the hands of the kitchen gods and praying they'll be kind to me. I've been working on condiments for the Mexican-style meal I've planned for tomorrow night. If all goes according to Hoyle, we'll be having fish tacos and fajitas along with numerous sides and sundry Southwestern fixin's. I thought this weekend would be an ideal time to add some of these condiments to my recipe collection. Fast and simple has real appeal to me on these long holiday weekends. I hope it does for you as well. I realize that you can buy any of the condiments I'll be featuring, but I've always had a quiet chuckle when I see "fresh" pico de gallo or "fresh" mango salsa with an expiration date stamped on their containers. Tomatoes are still being imported here. They look very anemic, so I've been ripening them in a brown paper bag, hoping to get better color and flavor for the salsas I'm preparing. The technique helps, but it will never replace the blood red color and sweet flavor of garden grown tomatoes. We make do. Pico de gallo is a fresh tomato salsa that is served with many Mexican dishes. It is very easy to make and homemade versions have far more flavor than anything that can be purchased in the supermarket. A recipe is needed only to list the ingredients required to make the salsa. The directions can be summed up in three words, chop, combine and chill. That, literally, is all there is to it. Here's the recipe.


Pico de Gallo


Ingredients:


1- 1/2 cups seeded, diced tomatoes


1/4 cup diced red onion


1 tablespoon diced jalapenos


1 tablespoon minced garlic


Juice of 2 limes


2 tablespoons cilantro, plus extra for garnish


Salt and pepper


Directions:


Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Yield: 2 cups.



One Year Ago Today: Funeral Pie



Two Years Ago Today: Blueberry and Lemon Cake-Style Muffins


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Sun-Dried Tomato Salsa - My Favorite Recipe Collection


Flavorful Cucumber Avocado Salsa - Family Friends and Food


Fire Roasted Salsa Verde - Gastronomical Sovereignty


Pineapple and Banana Salsa - Closet Cooking


Peach Salsa Cruda - Wicked Good Dinner


Black Bean Mango Salsa - Mommy's Kitchen


Fire Roasted Corn Salsa - No Recipes


Strawberry and Mango Salsa - Two Peas and Their Pod


Black Bean Salsa - Christine's Pantry


Tomatillo Chipotle Salsa - Perry's Plate



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy