Saturday, September 28, 2013

Hannibals Roasted Tomato Pilaf


While the rice and barley simmered, my mind wandered and Hannibal and the armies of Carthage came to mind. I think the color of the grains triggered my reverie. I was looking at a decidedly hot mess and needed some distraction until everything in that pot came together. I comforted myself with the knowledge that those armies, fueled by grains such as these, crossed the Alps and challenged the power of Rome. That they lost was beside the point. I was determined, at the very least, to tame the contents of my pot. As it turned out, I worried needlessly. My plan included the addition of roasted tomatoes, and a quick taste at the end of cooking revealed a pleasantly flavored, nutty surprise that was brightened by the flavor and color of the fruit. I'm still relatively new to meatless cooking and I'm always taken aback when dishes like this actually work. In order to assure the brown rice was cooked, I staggered the addition of the barley and orzo. I was afraid that if everything went into the pot at the same time the orzo and barley would become gummy before the rice was done. That meant one extra pan, but I'm glad I took the time to do it that way. The roasted tomatoes were great, but I think garlic sauteed zucchini would have worked as well. Even my committed carnivore enjoyed the dish, though he ate it with a chop on the side. Whether you have it as a main course or a side dish, I think you'll like this, too. Here's the recipe.


Hannibal's Roasted Tomato Pilaf...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite



Ingredients:


1-1/2 cup baby tomatoes


3 tablespoons olive oil, divided use


2/3 cup brown rice


2/3 cup barley


2/3 cup orzo pasta


3-3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth


1 teaspoon salt


Optional: Basil leaves for garnish


Directions:


1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Set aside.b


2) While tomatoes bake, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet and heat until warm. Add brown rice and sauteed until grains are coated and lightly brown. Add salt and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.


3) Add reserved 1 tablespoon olive oil to a second skillet and heat until warm. Add barley and orzo and cook until grains are coated and lightly brown.


4) Stir barley and orzo into brown rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and mixture is tender, about 20 minutes longer.


5) Lightly toss pilaf mixture with roasted tomatoes. Season to taste. Garnish with basil if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Stuffed Bell Peppers with Moroccan Rice Pilaf - The Heritage Cook


Garlic Rice Pilaf - Christine's Cuisine


Dirty Rice - Simply Recipes


Mushroom Rice Pilaf - What's Cookin Chicago


Rice Pilaf with Spinach and Bacon - The Teacher Cooks


Bulgur Pilaf - Koko's Kitchen


Rice and Red Lentil Pilaf - One Perfect Bite



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy