Saturday, September 28, 2013

Georgia-Style Brunswick Stew


Except to say it's a traditional Southern dish, little is known about the origins of Brunswick stew. Both Virginia and Georgia claim it to be their own, but proof to support either claim is missing or contradicted. In Virginia, the stew is made with chicken and sundry vegetables. In Georgia, pork and squirrel reign supreme. I couldn't find a squirrel, but I had a sufficient quantity of slow-roasted pork to attempt my first Georgia-style version of the stew. Several months ago, the Daring Cook's challenged their members to give Brunswick stew a try. The recipe to be used for that challenge can be found at the Wolf's Den. I took a pass at the time, because the recipe made a huge quantity of food. I always feel guilty when I don't participate in these challenges, so I never quite put the idea of the stew to rest. A large quantity of left-over pork and the need for something to carry to a covered-dish supper led to the creation of my first ever Brunswick stew. Diana Rattray, whose recipe can be found here, developed an easy version of the stew that I decided to use as the base for my own. This is very basic food. It also happens to be delicious, especially if your sweet tooth encompasses main courses as well as desserts. If fairness, this is no sweeter than barbecued beef or pork but I was a bit surprised when I took my first bite. This was well received by my tasters this evening, so I think you might enjoy it as well. Here's the recipe.


Georgia-Style Brunswick Stew...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Diana Rattay


Ingredients:


2 pounds pork, cooked and cut in 3/4-inch dice


1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper


1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste


2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce


1 teaspoon liquid smoke


1/2 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite


1-1/2 cups ketchup


3 cups potatoes, cooked and cut in 3/4-inch dice


Optional: 1 cup cooked lima beans or edamame


2 to 3 (15.5-oz.) cans cream-style corn


Salt and pepper


Directions:


Place all ingredients in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover and simmer until hot and bubbly. Thin if desired with water or stock. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and hot sauce, as desired. Yield: 8 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Autumn Pork Stew - The Bake-Off Flunkie


Leek, Potato and Pork Roast Stew - Babe in the City


Chipotle Pork Stew with Rice and Lentils - Food Republik


Pork Vindaloo - E L R A


Pork Stew with Chipotle and Plantains - Edible Aria


Spicy Pork Stew - Chewing the Fat


Brunswick Stew - Art and Lemons



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy