Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fast and Easy Filipino-Style Chicken Adobo


I probably should issue a blanket apology to the immediate world for my "-style" recipes. I've been experimenting again and have another to add to the list, this time it's a Filipino-like Chicken Adobo. The recipe is my interpretation of a signature dish much loved by the Filipino people. Adobo was part of their cuisine long before the arrival of the conquistadors. While other Spanish speaking countries prepare adobo dishes, those made in the Philippines are unique. Adobo, here, refers to a cooking process in which food is stewed in vinegar. Over time, dishes cooked in this manner came to be known as adobo as well. I first tried chicken prepared in this manner out of curiosity. I generally don't enjoy dishes that are cooked in vinegar, but I put my prejudice aside and decided to give this a try. I did, however, make some major changes to the classic recipes when I began to experiment with mine. As I read through the old recipes, I was struck by how similar these dishes were to the red-cooked meats of China. That resulted in a strange fusion. I decided to use the ingredients of the classic recipes, but to braise them in a Chinese manner. That allowed me to make a guest-worthy dinner in about 30 minutes. It also assured that the chicken would be moist and tender rather than stringy. I really like this recipe and have moved it to my permanent rotation. I hope you will try this. It is as close to effortless as a meal can get and it really is delicious. Here's the recipe.


Filipino-Style Chicken Adobo...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite


Ingredients:


2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed


1 cup water


1/2 cup rice vinegar


1/2 cup soy sauce


1 teaspoon brown sugar


8 cloves garlic, crushed


1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns


3 bay leaves


2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water


Directions:


1) Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover pan and continue to cook until meat is cooked and tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a serving bowl.


2) Remove solids and skim fat from sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce is syrupy and reduced by half, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture and whisk into sauce, stirring until sauce thickens and is shiny, about 1 minute. Return chicken to pan and toss with sauce to coat and warm. Transfer chicken to a serving bowl or platter. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Quick and Easy Chicken Piccata - Barbara Bakes


Chicken Fried Rice - My Finds Online


Easy Chicken Fajitas - Floptimism


Easy Chicken Hash - The Perfect Pantry


Easy Chicken Teriyaki - Home Cooking and Baking


Soy and Garlic Chicken - Ang Sarap


Lumpia - The Average Foodie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy