Saturday, September 28, 2013

Corn and Radish Salad


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Sweet corn has started to appear in our farmer's markets. It's not local, but I'm always so anxious for the first corn of summer that I break my own rules and buy it anyway. Sweet corn has become part of our Independence Day celebration, so I not fussy about its country or state of origin. It's a carry over from my Midwestern childhood, when corn on the cob was a treat and as much a part of the celebration as watermelon or fireworks. We stopped at a farm stand on the 4th and bought ten ears of corn. Six of them were gone before the sun had set, but I wanted to make sure the remaining ears were put to good use. I have a decade old recipe from Bon Appetit magazine that makes a spicy salad with corn, radishes and jalepenos. It is easy to do and it is a perfect dish to serve with Mexican or Southwestern food. Those last ears of corn were destined to become this lovely summer salad. While it can be made a day ahead of serving, the radishes will bleed and change the color of the salad if it sits that long. I skirt the issue by combining all the ingredients, except the radishes, the day before I need the salad. I add the radishes to the mix about an hour before I plan to serve it. That gives me the flavor of a long marinade and the color and crispness of fresh radishes. Cut the radishes as thinly as you can, A mandolin is ideal for this task, but to be honest I use a paring knife. It's easier than having to drag out and assemble the mandolin when so little knife work is required. I hope you'll consider this lovely, fresh salad the next time you are planning a Southwestern or Mexican meal. It is very nice. Here's the recipe.


Corn and Radish Salad with Jalapenos and Lime...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Bon Appetit magazine



Ingredients:


4 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 4 ears)


3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes


6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro


3-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice


3 tablespoons olive oil


2 green onions, chopped


2 tablespoons minced seeded jalepe?o chilies


Directions:


Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving. Yield: 6 servings


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Corn and Edamame Succotash - One Perfect Bite


Corn Salad with Edamame and Tomatoes - One Perfect Bite


Watermelon, Black Bean and Corn Salsa - One Perfect Bite


Grilled Corn Salad - Simply Recipes


Mark Bittman's Pan Roasted Corn and Tomato Salad - Champaign Taste


Fresh Sweet Corn Salad - Bake Space



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy