Saturday, September 28, 2013

Butterscotch and Walnut Brownies


The good news is these brownies are delicious. They're patterned after those served at Clementine in Los Angeles and they are really, really good. The Los Angeles Times first published the recipe, and while it was picked up by the wires and published by other news organizations, I haven't been able to find a review of the recipe that was written by a home cook or a blogger. Normally, I wouldn't care, but I was looking for validation. The fudge-like brownies I made look nothing like the cake-type brownies that appeared in the paper. Here's hoping I got it right.


This is one of the easiest recipes I've come across. It requires no special equipment, and, if you have 2 mixing bowls and a wooden spoon, you'll be able to whip these bars up in a matter of minutes. I'm sure you have the ingredients needed to make them in your pantry. I made no changes to the original recipe, although I did find it necessary to bake them five minutes longer than was recommended. I plan to make these again, though next time around I intend to put away my cups and spoons and measure ingredients by weight. I normally don't fuss with a recipe this way, but the brownies are so good I want to make sure I do them justice. I'll let you know what happens. I hope you'll try these. Here's the recipe .


Addendum: The brownies were made again, this time using a scale to weigh the the ingredients. No signicant changes were noted and the finished brownie was fudgy rather than cake-like.


Butterscotch and Walnut Brownies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of the Los Angeles Times


Ingredients:


3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (3.5 ounces) flour


1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder


1 teaspoon salt


1 cup + 2 tablespoons (9.25 ounces) dark brown sugar


5 tablespoons butter, melted


1 extra-large egg


1/2 + 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract


1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted walnuts



Directions:


1) Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.


2) In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.


3) In a large bowl, stir brown sugar into melted butter. Stir in egg, then vanilla.


4) Stir in dry ingredients, then fold in nuts.


5) Place the batter into prepared pan and bake until set (a toothpick inserted will have moist crumbs), 25 to 30 minutes.


6) Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving. Yield: 12 to 16 servings.



One Year Ago Today: Caramelized Onion, Blue Cheese and Walnut Pizza



Two Years Ago Today: Falafel - Recipes to Rival Chickpea Challenge


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Blondies - Sydney's Kitchen


Bacon Butterscotch Donuts - Big Black Dog


Best Butterscotch Pie from Paula Deen's Best Dishes 2011 - Taking on Magazines


Butterscotch Banana Bread - My Kitchen Adventures


Butterscotch Pecan Sandies - The Sweets Life


Butterscotch Molten Lava Cakes - One Perfect Bite


Disappearing Marshmallow Blondies - The Royal Cook


Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies - Sugar Pies


Butterscotch Pudding - Lindaraxa


Butterscotch Bars - Plain Chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy