Saturday, September 28, 2013

Adams Lime Curd


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I have, for years, had atrociously bad luck making lime curd. More often than not, it breaks or refuses to thicken and I'm left with a delicious but runny mess that's not much good for anything - especially my reputation. I've been looking for an easy, fool-proof recipe to solve the problem and I finally found one in a most unusual place. The recipe comes from the Pacific School of Herbal Medicine and it's called Adam's Lime Curd. If third time's a charm, then the curse visited on my curd has been broken. I made Adam's recipe for the third time tonight and used the curd to make a tart and fill a layer cake. The results were spectacular and I'm thrilled. I love the "bite" lime adds to desserts and this is a recipe I'll use over and over again. I've been using common Persian limes to test the recipe, so I know you'll have no problem getting the ingredients you need to make this on your own. It's easy to do and if you like tart desserts I know you'll love this. Here's my version of Adam's recipe.


Adam's Lime Curd...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of the Pacific School of Herbal Medicine



Ingredients:


3 ounces unsalted butter


1 cup sugar


2/3 cup freshly squeezed Lime juice


Zest of 4 limes grated or very finely chopped, divided use


4 large eggs, well beaten


Pinch of kosher salt



Directions:


1) Melt butter in top pan of a double boiler set over simmering water. Add sugar, lime juice, half of lime zest, eggs and salt. Whisk until curd just begins to thicken, about 5 minutes aside half of the zest. Then stir continuously, alternating with a whisk and a wooden spoon until curd thickens. Add remaining zest. Continue to stir continuously, alternating with whisk and wooden spoon until curd thickly coats spoon, about 5 minutes more.


2) Remove curd from heat and whisk until no more steam rises. Pour into a glass jar. Cool completely, then cover and refrigerate. Yield: 2 cups.


You might also enjoy these recipes:


Jamaica Lime Pie - Taste and Tell


Key Lime Pie - Let's Dish


Lemon Lime Bars - Chewing the Fat


Coconut Lime Custard Pie - Vegan Healthy Happy Life


Lime Meringue Tart - David Lebovitz


Blueberry Lime Scones - The Sweet's Life


Cold Lime Souffle - One Perfect Bite


Key Lime and White Chocolate Cake Squares - One Perfect Bite



No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy